Saturday, January 23, 2010

My favorite: patternmaking tools

This week, I was working a new pattern for a cardigan and I thought I would share some of my favorite patternmaking tools. First is the pattern tracing wheel. It's perfect when you need to transfer your pattern to a new sheet of paper since it has long spikes. You need to use it over a cork board or a large heavy towel so the spikes can perforate the second layer of paper. It's very handy but could be dangerous (speaking from experience) if you accidentally step on it or grab it from the wrong end. Ouchies!

Next is the pattern notcher, I use it to make notches in my final pattern. Adding notches makes me double check that each seam matches up so I don't end up with a side seam longer than the other.


Without a doubt, the most essential tool in patternmaking are the rulers. Here are the ones I used the most often: plastic inch ruler, 2 aluminum Fairgate vary form curve and a adjustable little ruler which is great for adding seam allowances to patterns. I also use a aluminum yard stick (not pictured) a lot that I purchased from Home Depot a few years ago.




1 comment:

Bethany Dirksen said...

Wow, that tracing wheel in intense. I always used a plastic one that probably didn't work as well, but wouldn't hurt you either! Haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails